My current model: falling asleep depend on three things happening. If these three things happen, then you will be asleep:
- Relaxed body
- Lowered pulse (around 50 bpm)
- Mind clear of thoughts (or leaning into visual imagery)
But actually, most of the action is in the prerequisite 0th step: disengaging from whatever is interesting, so that your attention can actually be to relax and fall asleep.
How to do that?
- IDC with the thoughts
- Physically remove the felt senses from the body
- Distract yourself
- By drawing
- By reading fiction
- By trying to get absorbed in some thoughts?
- “Leaning out” from the thoughts?
- By jotting down everything that you’re excited about?
- By scheduling specific time in the morning to try and boot up those motivating considerations / making reminders of everything important.
- The main thing, might be the sense of time scarcity or urgency which is salient at the time.
One thought on “Some sleep thoughts very roughly”